Daily coverage from across the country, written for the expat community
Results for “security”Clear
Expreso reports that Ecuador's 2026 curfews have accumulated 30 days of restrictions and affected at least 120,000 businesses. One economist estimated losses between USD 16 million and USD 32 million, with the hardest hit in nightlife, restaurants, logistics and small businesses.
The nationwide nighttime curfew under Executive Decree 370 ended at 5:00 a.m. Monday, May 18, after 15 days. Authorities reported 3,422 people detained nationwide, 378 raids, 5.9 tons of drugs and 405 firearms seized. Here's the final picture and what changes now for foreign residents.
The militarization of Puerto Bolívar has surfaced the human cost: at least 300 families forcibly displaced, criminal group Los Lobos occupying up to 500 homes, and the terminal tied to 10.8 tons — 11.24% — of drugs seized nationally. Over 1,000 troops are searching 1,642 homes.
The Consejo de la Judicatura filed a criminal complaint with the Fiscalía General alleging a network solicited payments from judges and prosecutors to alter disciplinary reports. The institution says: 'No habrá encubrimientos.'
Armed forces, police, and intelligence services deployed to Puerto Bolívar in El Oro province for a major operation against criminal structures controlling the port. Defense Minister Loffredo says groups are using the port to ship drugs and extort fishermen.
Interior Minister John Reimberg confirmed today that the nationwide nighttime curfew will end as scheduled on May 18. Operations during the curfew so far have produced over 2,000 detentions, 331 weapons seized, and nearly 500 people linked to criminal organizations.
President Noboa meets VP Vance this week to discuss security, migration, and trade. Ecuador is also seeking a civilian nuclear energy agreement with the US — a first.
Over 2,000 people detained in 9 days. The penalty for violating curfew is up to 3 years in prison. Here's what every resident needs to know about the enforcement, exceptions, and your rights.
From May 3-10, security forces conducted 221 raids across nine provinces. Over 400 people were identified as members of criminal organizations.
Resolution 2582 declares both countries' tariffs incompatible with the Cartagena Agreement. But with rates still at 75%, business leaders on both sides say trade remains frozen.
Interior Minister Reimberg announced the largest single-day operation since the curfew began May 3. Nine provinces remain under nightly restrictions through May 18.
Banco Pichincha went from $42M to $88M in profits. Banco del Pacífico: $46M to $84M. The president posted the numbers on X and questioned who benefits from the crisis narrative.