Daily coverage from across the country, written for the expat community
The Battle of Pichincha holiday falls on Sunday in 2026, so Ecuador's mandatory rest day shifts to Monday, May 25. Expreso reports the country will have a three-day weekend, with no Friday transfer.
Two vehicle dealerships in Quito's Iñaquito sector were closed after complaints from buyers who said they paid about $2,500 and never received cars. Expreso reports victims have filed complaints with the Fiscalía.
The nationwide nighttime curfew under Executive Decree 370 ended at 5:00 a.m. Monday, May 18, after 15 days. Authorities reported 3,422 people detained nationwide, 378 raids, 5.9 tons of drugs and 405 firearms seized. Here's the final picture and what changes now for foreign residents.
Ecuador's weather service flagged moderate-to-heavy rain, electrical storms, strong wind gusts and flooding risk from 4:00 p.m. May 17 until noon May 20, spanning coastal, highland and Amazon provinces. Here's who's affected and what to do.
Monthly inflation reached 0.53% in April 2026, driven mainly by transport costs, with annual inflation at 2.6%. Meanwhile Ecuador's tariff on Colombian goods escalated to 100% on May 1. What it means for anyone living here on a fixed or foreign income.
An addendum to the AC59 trade agreement will lower the import tariff on cars made in Argentina from 16.1% to 10%. Industry expects the deal signed in the second half of June. The Toyota Hilux, a Toyota SUV, and the Ford Ranger are the models in play.
The militarization of Puerto Bolívar has surfaced the human cost: at least 300 families forcibly displaced, criminal group Los Lobos occupying up to 500 homes, and the terminal tied to 10.8 tons — 11.24% — of drugs seized nationally. Over 1,000 troops are searching 1,642 homes.
Executive Decree 383 shifts the Comisión Estratégica de Marcas to the Production, Foreign Trade and Investment ministry, replacing a 2011-era structure. The reframe moves Ecuador's international promotion away from a tourism focus toward investment and trade.
Decreto Ejecutivo 378 extends national transport compensation through June 15, delaying a politically painful fare increase. Loja has already raised fares to $0.36; Cuenca, Quito, Guayaquil and Ambato all see different responses.
The Consejo de la Judicatura filed a criminal complaint with the Fiscalía General alleging a network solicited payments from judges and prosecutors to alter disciplinary reports. The institution says: 'No habrá encubrimientos.'
Armed forces, police, and intelligence services deployed to Puerto Bolívar in El Oro province for a major operation against criminal structures controlling the port. Defense Minister Loffredo says groups are using the port to ship drugs and extort fishermen.
Interior Minister John Reimberg confirmed today that the nationwide nighttime curfew will end as scheduled on May 18. Operations during the curfew so far have produced over 2,000 detentions, 331 weapons seized, and nearly 500 people linked to criminal organizations.