Daily coverage from across the country, written for the expat community
Results for “Armed Forces”Clear
The militarization of Puerto Bolívar has surfaced the human cost: at least 300 families forcibly displaced, criminal group Los Lobos occupying up to 500 homes, and the terminal tied to 10.8 tons — 11.24% — of drugs seized nationally. Over 1,000 troops are searching 1,642 homes.
Armed forces, police, and intelligence services deployed to Puerto Bolívar in El Oro province for a major operation against criminal structures controlling the port. Defense Minister Loffredo says groups are using the port to ship drugs and extort fishermen.
Over 2,000 people detained in 9 days. The penalty for violating curfew is up to 3 years in prison. Here's what every resident needs to know about the enforcement, exceptions, and your rights.
The curfew that started May 3 is producing results — 500+ detained in the first two days, including 80+ wanted individuals captured during enforcement operations. Here is what has changed since our initial guide.
President Noboa declared a 15-day curfew from 11 PM to 5 AM covering Pichincha, Guayas, Manabí, and six other provinces plus four cantons. No salvoconducts. Business groups say the last curfew cost exporters $200 million.
The government handed over 230 new patrol vehicles in Machala this week, bringing the 2026 total to 420. The $21.3 million purchase was funded by private-sector contributions under Ecuador's security law.
Ecuador's Armed Forces have inspected 663 of the country's 1,130 licensed private security firms so far, part of an escalating weapons-control campaign triggered by evidence that private security arsenals have been feeding organized crime. A January 2026 raid on a Los Lagartos-linked firm recovered 200+ weapons with altered serial numbers.
Ecuador's military intercepted $50,540 in counterfeit $20 bills at Quito's Carcelén bus terminal on Sunday, April 12. The fakes — more than 5,000 bills — were handed to the National Police. Worth knowing if you handle dollar cash in Ecuador.
President Noboa said Ecuador would welcome US military troops to fight organized crime, provided they operate under Ecuadorian Armed Forces command. Joint operations are already underway, including Pacific naval exercises with the USS Nimitz and a border strike against Comandos de la Frontera.
President Noboa signed Decreto 353 on April 2, declaring a 60-day state of exception across nine provinces and four cantons. Warrantless searches are now legal in affected areas, though no curfew has been imposed. Expats in Pichincha, Guayas, Manabi, and other covered provinces should understand what rights have been suspended.
President Noboa signed Decree 353 on April 2, declaring a 60-day state of emergency across 9 provinces and 4 additional cantons. Unlike the previous emergency that ended March 30, this renewal does not include a curfew -- but it does authorize police raids and suspends home inviolability in affected areas.
U.S. Special Operations forces launched joint military operations in Ecuador on March 3, 2026, alongside 75,000 Ecuadorian troops. A curfew from 11 PM to 5 AM is in effect through March 31 in Guayas, El Oro, Los Rios, and Santo Domingo provinces — not in the highlands or Cuenca. Over 253 people have been arrested for curfew violations.