Daily coverage from across the country, written for the expat community
Results for “investigation”Clear
Two vehicle dealerships in Quito's Iñaquito sector were closed after complaints from buyers who said they paid about $2,500 and never received cars. Expreso reports victims have filed complaints with the Fiscalía.
The Consejo de la Judicatura filed a criminal complaint with the Fiscalía General alleging a network solicited payments from judges and prosecutors to alter disciplinary reports. The institution says: 'No habrá encubrimientos.'
Interior Minister John Reimberg confirmed today that the nationwide nighttime curfew will end as scheduled on May 18. Operations during the curfew so far have produced over 2,000 detentions, 331 weapons seized, and nearly 500 people linked to criminal organizations.
Prosecutors are expanding the high-profile 'Goleada' money laundering case against Guayaquil Mayor Aquiles Álvarez to include his wife, mother, and two brothers — bringing the total number of defendants to 17.
From May 3-10, security forces conducted 221 raids across nine provinces. Over 400 people were identified as members of criminal organizations.
Interior Minister Reimberg announced the largest single-day operation since the curfew began May 3. Nine provinces remain under nightly restrictions through May 18.
Juan Carlos Blum is now the fifth person to lead Ecuador's energy portfolio since November 2023. A former minister calls it 'a responsibility of the highest risk.' The blackouts, failed contracts, and investigations explain why.
A four-month investigation culminated in Operación Forseti-Finisterra — 11 arrested including the gang's hit squad leader, firearms and drugs seized, and a criminal network dismantled.
Ecuador's Attorney General is seeking to formally charge 21 people — including a former Celec manager and former Energy Minister — with embezzlement tied to emergency contracts during the 2024 blackout crisis. Estimated damages exceed $100 million.
Prosecutors raided CNEL offices across three provinces after the Energy Minister revealed a decade-long billing manipulation scheme affecting 400,000+ accounts. Officials allegedly cut invoices by 80% in exchange for bribes.
A 16-person fuel trafficking ring operating across six provinces since October 2024 has been dismantled. Three active-duty military members, five police officers, and eight civilians were detained. A judge has ordered preventive detention for 15 of them on charges tied to hydrocarbon diversion and support for criminal organizations.
Two armed attacks in fewer than 15 days have shaken Salinas — Ecuador's best-known beach resort. Seven people were wounded in the Sunday attack on the malecón, and the canton has now recorded 13 homicides so far in 2026, two of them along the waterfront. Governor Xavier Negrete says he has formally notified Interior Minister John Reimberg. Here's what's known.