Daily coverage from across the country, written for the expat community
Results for “government”Clear
Executive Decree 383 shifts the Comisión Estratégica de Marcas to the Production, Foreign Trade and Investment ministry, replacing a 2011-era structure. The reframe moves Ecuador's international promotion away from a tourism focus toward investment and trade.
Decreto Ejecutivo 378 extends national transport compensation through June 15, delaying a politically painful fare increase. Loja has already raised fares to $0.36; Cuenca, Quito, Guayaquil and Ambato all see different responses.
The Consejo de la Judicatura filed a criminal complaint with the Fiscalía General alleging a network solicited payments from judges and prosecutors to alter disciplinary reports. The institution says: 'No habrá encubrimientos.'
Armed forces, police, and intelligence services deployed to Puerto Bolívar in El Oro province for a major operation against criminal structures controlling the port. Defense Minister Loffredo says groups are using the port to ship drugs and extort fishermen.
Interior Minister John Reimberg confirmed today that the nationwide nighttime curfew will end as scheduled on May 18. Operations during the curfew so far have produced over 2,000 detentions, 331 weapons seized, and nearly 500 people linked to criminal organizations.
The May 12 price adjustment is official — diesel crossed $3/gallon for the first time, stations in Quito and Guayaquil are running dry, and Ecuador is importing 65% of its fuel. The refinery FCC unit restarts May 15.
From May 3-10, security forces conducted 221 raids across nine provinces. Over 400 people were identified as members of criminal organizations.
Interior Minister Reimberg announced the largest single-day operation since the curfew began May 3. Nine provinces remain under nightly restrictions through May 18.
Banco Pichincha went from $42M to $88M in profits. Banco del Pacífico: $46M to $84M. The president posted the numbers on X and questioned who benefits from the crisis narrative.
Juan Carlos Blum is now the fifth person to lead Ecuador's energy portfolio since November 2023. A former minister calls it 'a responsibility of the highest risk.' The blackouts, failed contracts, and investigations explain why.
International investors put up $7 billion in orders for $1 billion in Ecuadorian sovereign bonds. The yield improved, the country risk hit an 11-year low, and the government says it proves confidence is back.
The curfew that started May 3 is producing results — 500+ detained in the first two days, including 80+ wanted individuals captured during enforcement operations. Here is what has changed since our initial guide.