Daily coverage from across the country, written for the expat community
Results for “Reimberg”Clear
Interior Minister John Reimberg confirmed today that the nationwide nighttime curfew will end as scheduled on May 18. Operations during the curfew so far have produced over 2,000 detentions, 331 weapons seized, and nearly 500 people linked to criminal organizations.
Interior Minister Reimberg announced the largest single-day operation since the curfew began May 3. Nine provinces remain under nightly restrictions through May 18.
An 11 PM to 5 AM curfew is in effect across nine provinces and four cantons through May 18. No safe-conduct passes will be issued. Here is everything expats need to know, from affected areas to the only exemptions that exist.
Prosecutors raided CNEL offices across three provinces after the Energy Minister revealed a decade-long billing manipulation scheme affecting 400,000+ accounts. Officials allegedly cut invoices by 80% in exchange for bribes.
Interior Minister Reimberg told AFP that organized crime groups have launched roughly 600 drone attempts at El Encuentro prison since it opened. The government says it will build as many mega-prisons as needed.
President Noboa declared a 15-day curfew from 11 PM to 5 AM covering Pichincha, Guayas, Manabí, and six other provinces plus four cantons. No salvoconducts. Business groups say the last curfew cost exporters $200 million.
The government handed over 230 new patrol vehicles in Machala this week, bringing the 2026 total to 420. The $21.3 million purchase was funded by private-sector contributions under Ecuador's security law.
Ecuador's May 3-18 curfew now covers 105 cantons across 9 provinces and 4 jurisdictions — including 17 cantons that have recorded zero homicides in all of 2026. Interior Minister Reimberg: no exceptions. Here's the updated list and what it means.
President Daniel Noboa announced a nightly curfew from 11:00 pm to 5:00 am across nine provinces — including Pichincha, Guayas, Manabí, and El Oro — and four cantones, running May 3-18, 2026. Interior Minister John Reimberg has ruled out exceptions for any sector.
Ecuador's Interior Minister John Reimberg has publicly rejected requests from business sectors — including the Clúster Bananero del Ecuador — for exceptions to the May 3-18 curfew. His line: if anyone gets an exception, everyone does.
Two armed attacks in fewer than 15 days have shaken Salinas — Ecuador's best-known beach resort. Seven people were wounded in the Sunday attack on the malecón, and the canton has now recorded 13 homicides so far in 2026, two of them along the waterfront. Governor Xavier Negrete says he has formally notified Interior Minister John Reimberg. Here's what's known.
President Noboa signed Decreto 353 on April 2, declaring a 60-day state of exception across nine provinces and four cantons. Warrantless searches are now legal in affected areas, though no curfew has been imposed. Expats in Pichincha, Guayas, Manabi, and other covered provinces should understand what rights have been suspended.